Monday, February 21, 2011

"A Rose for Emily" by William Faulkner (p. 89)

The word I have chosen is the word inextricable.

The definition of this word from Dictionary.com says that inextricable is an adjective with three different meanings.
1. from which one cannot extricate oneself: an inextricable maze.
2. incapable of being disentangled, undone, or loosed, or solved: an inextricable knot.
3. hopelessly intricate, involved, or perplexing: inextricable confusion.

A Rose or Emily by William Faulkner
Chapter 5 - Page 94 - 5th Paragraph

"What was left of him, rotted beneath what was left of the nightshirt, had become inextricable from the bed in which he lay; and upon him and upon the pillow beside him lay that even coating of the patient and binding dust."

I believe that this word was used to explain more of how Emily felt for this man. I believe she loved him so much and then something horrible happened between them. Instead of just letting him go, she murdered him with the arsenic, and still she couldn't let him go. So, she made him into a shrine for himself laying him in the bed and arranging his room to make it seem like he would always be there with her. I believe this particular word was used to implicate how the man became entangled in Emily's life as well as in his death.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you that Emily loved this man so much that instead of losing him she killed him. But, remember earlier in the story when it said that Homer was a southerner? It made me think that she knew he was way out of her league and her father would probably have a fit if he knew she dated him. I think maybe she was intrigued by him and wanted some excitement in her life. Being seen with him gave the other ladies something to talk about. She was getting attention. When he wanted to leave she killed him and kept his body in that room like it was their wedding night forever. Do you think they even really got married? I thought it was morbid and creepy that she kept a dead body for so long and slept beside him every night. I think she was so lonely and wanted so much to be loved she literally lost her mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duh! In my comment I said Homer was a southerner. I meant he was a northerner. Maybe that's why Emily was so interested in him. She was being a bad girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the use of the word exriticable is expressed in the story to show how Emily felt about a man who probably didn't feel the same about her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! Just a quick comment...Personally, I don't think Emily and Homer married. Part of it has to do with Homer being a Yankee, but I think there's more to it than that....do you know what it is....???

    ReplyDelete