Tuesday, April 5, 2011

"Fire and Ice" by Robert Frost pg. 1068

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction of ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I first read this poem when I read Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer for the first time. Many books will start a chapter by including an epigraph, which is an opening quote before the chapter begins. When I read this, I concluded that Bella would have to make a choice, because I took it to represent that she was choosing between Edward who represents ice and Jacob who represents fire.
I think this poem was written mostly to represent how the world might end and to which might be better to endure, fire or ice. Many people think that the world might end by the sun going supernova and burning us all to a crisp or by a nuclear winter which would freeze us to death. I'm not sure that I believe any of this, although I do agree that the earth, like everything will parish one day... just hopefully it is far, far away.
I think this poem is worth sharing because it represents a battle and/or a choice to be made that we should all be aware of eventually. If you had the choice, which one would you choose?

2 comments:

  1. If you read in the Bible Revelation 21:1 it says "And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first eart were passed away; and there was no more sea. Then, go to 2 Peter 3:7 "But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgement and perdition of ungodly men.

    Then read 2 Peter 3:10 "But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
    2 Peter 3:12 "Looking for and hasting unto the coming fo the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

    The Bible says the world will be cleansed with fire. After the rapture takes place and all of God's children are in heaven he will cleanse it with fire.

    Also, if you read Revelation you will see that the end is very near considering what is going on in the world today.

    Yes, this world will come to an end someday and it will be cleansed by fire - not ice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment about the sun blowing up and burning us all to a crisp reminds me of Knowing with Nicholas Cage. One of the WIERDEST moves i have ever watched but, I to feel as though the poem is Frosts version of how the world will end. I for one would rather die fast then freeze or burn but that's just me.:) I have never read any of the Twilight books so i have no clue who stands for what. But i enjoy the fact that you made a connection with a book.

    ReplyDelete