Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"Madam and Her Madam by Langston Hughes pg. 1080-1081

I worked for a woman,
She wasn't mean--
But she had a twelve-room
House to clean.

Had to get breakfast,
Dinner, and supper too--
Then take care of her children
When I got through.

Wash, iron, and scrub,
Walk the dog around--
It was too much,
Nearly broke me down.

I said, Madam,
Can it be
You trying to make a
Pack-horse out of me?

She opened her mouth.
She cried, Oh No!
You know, Alberta,
I love you so!

I said, Madam,
That may be true--
But I'll be dogged
If I love you!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
As I was searching through all the poetry in the book, I came across a whole section of poems by Langston Hughes, whom I looked up and found out exactly who he was. I could tell by his poems that he was very passionate about his African-American heritage, but in this particular poem... I believe all mothers especially can relate tot his poem as we work so much and sometimes we aren't sure what its for. The poem tells of a servant with all of the chores she must do to keep her madam happy. It lets us know how she feels likes she's used and tries to ask her madam about it, only to be told that her madam loves her. Who wouldn't love someone who does so much for them?!
I thought this would be great to share because this poem is straight to the point and humorous as well. After searching through so many more detailed and meaningful poems, I thought this was a nice change! I think if you read it, you might find the humor in it as well!

2 comments:

  1. There is such a contrasting emotion to this poem but it balances itself so well. At first I laughed quite out loud at the last line. Then I thought of the poor woman's plight. While I am sure she is appreciated by her employer it is the way a man appreciates his fishing line or his bowling ball. It's just a loved object that gets the job done. The more you read this poem the deeper the meaning and message bore into you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This a wonderful poem. I enjoyed reading it as well, you sympathize with the servant but it is still humorous as well. Thank you for sharing, I enjoyed reading your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete