Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"Here a Pretty Baby Lies" by Robert Herrick - pg.627

Here a pretty baby lies
Sung asleep with lullabies:
Pray be silent, and not stir
Th'easy earth that covers her.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
When I first read this poem, I had to reread it to completely understand it. I'm drawn to stories about children and babies especially. I think that's just the mother in me. The word baby caught my eye and I read it and was confused for a minute until I realized what the poem was about. It's quite sad actually.
The poor baby in this poem wasn't actually sleeping like the first three lines suggest, but in fact was in their final resting place. I feel for the parents of this baby and wonder whether the author was writing form his own experience.
This poem appears to be not only innocent, but short, and sweet, but is actually very moving and heartbreaking by the end line.

1 comment:

  1. This is kind of sad. I have never read this one before. I completely agree with you on feeling for the parents of this poor child. But at least they know their baby is somewhere that will never hurt or be sad.

    ReplyDelete