Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Short Story I Liked the Most

The story I liked the most was The Horse Dealer's Daughter by D.H. Lawrence. To me it's sort of like a classic little story of boy meets girl, boy saves girl, and boy falls in love. I really enjoyed this story a lot. It wasn't completely predictable. Jack didn't have any feelings for Mabel at the beginning, not until he saved her from drowning. Then, it was like his brain short-circuited and he knew that he loved her. It was almost as if he felt obligated to love her in the end. I'm not entirely certain that Mabel and Jack really had a true kind of love. It seems to me that they were both needy and lonely and wanted to force themselves to love the other. I am almost certain that there love did not last.

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you, it is a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about it not being a true kind of love. They both were two people in need of something and not knowing what it is. Mabel always felt alone so she found her self at the bottom of a pond, quite a lonely place. Jack was a doctor always saving people, someone who wanted to know more kind of work to get your hands dirty and he finds himself pulling a girl out of the muck and grime. It'd be interesting to know what happened to the two of them after Lawrence put away his pen.

    ReplyDelete