Wednesday, March 9, 2011

"Luck" by Mark Twain (p. 213)

My husband and I have been searching for a house to buy. We don't make a lot of money so our range is a lot smaller than most people would try to buy. We started combing through the housing market back in October of 2010, searching for a larger house to accommodate our family of five. We looked and looked. We must have seen at least 4 dozen houses before finding one that we really loved. I was apprehensive to even look at this particular house since I believed it to be out of our price range, but it was so spectacular that I couldn't resist. It was a very large 5 bedroom, 3 bathroom brick split level home with huge white columns on the front porch. To me, it looked like a mini mansion. Our real estate agent convinced us that we had a chance since it was a short sale home, which is that the owners were trying to sell it for less than they owed to the bank. My husband and I decided to take a chance and put an offer in on the house, for as much as we could afford. We didn't think it hurt to try even though we didn't think we had that much of a chance. I mean, this home was gorgeous, valued at almost $200,000! We put our max offer in at $84,000. We sat back and waited and waited and waited. We were really worried when our agent told us there were 3 other offers on this house. And then, we waited even more. A month after we put the offer in, we received a call from our agent telling us they had accepted our offer. You can't imagine how excited we were that they picked our offer! We felt like the luckiest people in the world and started on the inspections for our mortgage. Needless to say, we didn't get our dream house. The house needed a new roof and we couldn't afford to pay for it right then and there. So, the bank would not allow us the mortgage and they gave our dream home to the next highest bidder. They let us know a week before Christmas. It was terrible for all of us. They just closed on that gorgeous house a couple of weeks ago, letting it go for $6000 less than we had offered!

3 comments:

  1. Have you heard the song by Garth Brooks unanswered prayers? I believe God hears all of our prayers and answers them all. It may not be the answer we want to hear, but, He knows what answer is best. I believe that house was not ment to be. Maybe God has something better instore for you and your family. He always knows what is best. Don't get down or sad just wait and good things will happen. you'll see. If you want to hear God laugh tell HIM YOUR plans. They may not be his.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Carolyn, your story really touched me. I'm so sorry to hear that this didn't work out for you but I agree with Sherry, God has better plans for you. I live by if its meant to be it will happen. I can't wait to get an update from you soon and that God has opened the door to your new home for your beautiful family. My prayers are with you and I know it will happen in God's time, just believe it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a sad story, to almost have something and then lose it. While I agree with what Sherry and Michelle say about God always having a plan for us, it is hard to see when we're on the other side. You and your husband will have an amazing house one day and you'll know that it was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete